The Federal Aviation Administration says it will reduce airline traffic by 10% across 40 high-volume U.S. markets beginning Friday to preserve safety amid the government shutdown.
Controllers have been working without pay since October 1 and absences have been rising, prompting the agency to slow the system rather than risk thinner safety margins. The FAA plans to publish the list of affected markets on Thursday, November 6.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy warned earlier this week that parts of the airspace could face restrictions if staffing deteriorates further. FAA Administrator Bryan Bedford said the step is intended to stabilize operations while the shutdown continues. Expect metering, ground-delay programs, and trimmed schedules in the busiest metros.
If you’re flying over the next few days, check flight status early and often, allow extra time for connections, and use your airline’s app for rebooking options. Delays at one hub can ripple to others as the reduced flow takes effect.
Indiana AG Rokita calls on race fans to raise the red flag on human trafficking ahead of the 110th Indianapolis 500
Two arrested in stolen vehicle, suspicious activity investigation
Lowell “Adam” Hull, 60, of Greencastle
Make water safety a priority
USPS proposes maintenance, repairs during Mailbox Improvement Week
Indy McDonald’s fans invited to sip McDonald’s new Refresher at one-day sampling event
Indiana BMV branches closed for holiday weekend
Cloverdale Superintendent Greg Linton ready to transition into new role
