Search

Marshall County Council approves resolution to dissolve Regional Sewer District

Friday, August 29, 2025 at 3:00 AM

By Kathy Bottorff

Members of the Marshall County Council held a special session Wednesday to consider a resolution to dissolve the Marshall County Regional Sewer District. 

Following an hour-long discussion, the county council passed the resolution that will be given to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.

The council’s resolution is similar to the one the County Commissioners passed during their special meeting on August 20.

Each member of the council spoke during the special meeting. Councilman Brandon Schradck handed out a two-page list of his thoughts on sewers, recapping how the county has arrived at this point.

Council member Greg Compton said in the last week quite of few people have told him they are reluctant to state their feelings for fear of being called out and abused online and making their lives difficult. He also said he was disappointed in the respect the council, commissioners, and people against the project have shown to citizens in the community who are on the other side.

Councilwoman Nicole Cox clarified that the sewer board is seeking low-interest loans, not applying for grants, which is free money versus having to pay back a loan with interest.

Councilman Jim Masterson said communication is the key and that the Regional Sewer Board hasn’t communicated well with the county about the progress and process of the project.  Masterson said he likes that the engineers said there is a long shelf life with the plans created to date.  He also said the arguing needs to stop.   

Council President Tim Harmon submitted a document and brought up a requirement that the Regional Sewer Board create a three-member advisory panel. He went on to say the district impaneled itself with people who would give an alternative perspective.

Councilwoman Deb Johnson said in 2022, there were promises made that no tax dollars would be used for the regional sewer project.  She said that is not the case.  She asked who paid for the preliminary work in 2022, and Harman said the County Council appropriated $50,000 to study the sewer possibilities.  She said the problems and the concerns are the same, just the faces have changed over the last couple of years.

Will Patterson said the county needs to work with the Health Board to find solutions for homeowners who experience issues with the septic systems.

The resolution is similar to the one the commissioners voted on.  Harman said this isn’t a joint resolution because they had made corrections and added more information. 

The resolution states that the council finds the district is not economically feasible, fair, or reasonable. 

The resolution passed with a 6 to 1 vote. Councilman Compton was the lone dissenting vote.